It’s time for another One Room Challenge! This time last year I made over my home office and this year we decided to makeover our living room. We’ve done tons of DIYs around our house since moving in (nearly 2 years ago!!!) but we haven’t really finalized any of the rooms in our house aside from my home office. Before we moved in, our house was completely gutted – all the way to the studs! We moved in and had a blank canvas in each room. This challenge is the perfect opportunity to focus our efforts and complete a room so we wanted to focus on one of our most used – our living room!
Before Moving In
After Moving In
While this room has come a LONG way (check out that mismatched flooring!) there are still so many changes I want to make. Thankfully all the changes we want to make are cosmetic and functional.
To Do List
- New entertainment center. We need something that has more storage and also fills more space on the wall.
- Replace the ottoman. I’ve honestly hated that ottoman since we got it! It came with the couch so it made sense to keep it but the plan was to recover it. Years later and it’s still that ugly print. I also think it’s too big and bulky for the space both physically and visually.
- Hang art above the couch. We had a gallery wall above our couch in the apartment, but never put it up in the new house.
- Replace the rug. I want something BOLD and COLORFUL! Plus the green rug is perfect for our dining room.
- Hang curtains. I’m leaning towards a solid color since I want a bold/patterned rug.
- New pillow covers. Again: BOLD and COLORFUL!
- Add tables. One big request is to have more surface space for drinks and such. With the ottoman instead of a coffee table, we struggle with drinks in the living room. We also don’t have a side table near the sectional.
- Make a statement ceiling. I’ve always loved a coffered ceiling and ceilings with wood beams. Our living room is a remodeled garage with standard 8 foot ceilings so I’ll have to get creative since the room is so small!
via Made By Girl
Our goal is not not only create a fun and welcoming space, but we want to increase the functionality and storage. We also want to make the room appear larger as it feels pretty cramped right now. Be sure to subscribe to get all the new posts sent straight to your inbox!