Learn how to turn dresser drawers into shelves. Upcycle an old dresser drawer into versatile storage for your home!
Imagine this: Me frolicking though the aisles of the Habitat for Humanity ReStore singing: Look at this trove, Treasures untold, How many wonders can one THRIFT STORE hold? Singing like the Little Mermaid seemed perfect for how I was feeling with all the amazing finds at our local store. Unlike traditional thrift stores that are usually 80% clothing and 20% the good stuff (old furniture, home goods, etc.) this place is the exact opposite!
So many good finds like shutters, old doors and windows, cabinets, and of course my favorite little corner that has 100s of DRAWERS! They get a ton of old dressers and cabinets that for whatever reason can’t be sold (water damage, etc.) so they save the drawers that are in good shape and sell them for a few bucks! SCORE! Let me show you how to turn dresser drawers into shelves!
- The first step is to remove all the hardware. This includes the handles on the front and the drawer slides on the sides or bottom.
- Next, fill in all the holes with wood putty.
- After that give the whole drawer a good sanding.
- Now measure the insides of the drawer so you know how wide to cut your shelves. My drawer was right at 6 inches deep so I cut my shelves from a 1x6 board.
- After your shelves are cut - drill pocket holes on the undersides of the shelves.
- Attach the shelves with the pocket holes on the bottom so they're hidden.
- Now it's time to add legs! Screw the plates into the bottom of the drawer and insert the feet.
- After the feet are attached, it's time for paint!
For my project, I only added 2 feet on the bottom and it leans perfectly against the wall. That said, be sure to attach to the wall if you have small children at home!
I love upcycling projects because it challenges me to look at ordinary items in a different way. Have you ever done an upcycling project? Here is a list of other amazing projects done for this seasons Thrift Shop Challenge!
- At Charlotte’s House – Flea Market Mirror Makeover
- Green with Decor – Painted Christmas Village House
- Love, Create, Celebrate – DIY Wooden Spoon Rest
- Love & Renovations – Little Tikes Toy Makeovers
- Small Stuff Counts – DIY Pegboard Broom Organizer
- Within the Grove – DIY Book Bin
Wanna join in on the fun? Share a photo of your Thrift Shop project on Instagram and use the hashtag #ThriftShopChallenge! Tag me @a_m_b_o so I can see!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!