Since working on the kitchen makeover in my mom’s house a few weeks ago, I’ve been itching to make some changes in our house. We don’t need need a massive kitchen remodel, since our home was gutted to the studs and updated before we moved in. We do however, still have some decorating to do! I’m a self diagnosed “Pinterest-aholic” and one of my favorite things to do is puruse beautiful homes for inspiration. Lately I’ve been drawn to gorgeous runner rugs and I’m seeing them all over! From laundry rooms to kitchens, these beautiful vintage rugs in Persian, Turkish, and Moroccan styles are popping up everywhere. Here are a few of my favorites:
I have a thing about water. This isn’t one of those “I’ve got saltwater in my veins” kinda things; quite the opposite actually. I do NOT like water. Can’t swim, won’t swim, YOU CAN’T MAKE ME. I do however, LOVE the beach! Lucky for me, we live an hour from the gulf coast. Not the world’s finest beaches, but we’re pretty lucky for the proximity. We’ve been known to pack up the car on a whim, and drive to Galveston for the day. We’ll setup our umbrella and beach blankets, play some tunes, and read a book while catching some sun. It’s a perfectly relaxing escape from “big city living”.
This week we are spending an entire week at the beach! The whole crew from Eric’s side of the family has come to town and we rented out a beach house. There’s a chance of rain, but we are going to to make the most of it! I plan to soak up as much sun as we can and enjoy our time by the ocean.
I put together this roundup of cute beach blankets a while ago and figured this was the perfect time to share. I picked out the CUTEST blankets that are perfect for the beach, the backyard, or a picnic. They could even make super cute throw blankets to keep on hand at home.
Summer is here! Summer is here! If there’s one thing that screams summer (aside from the stifling Houston humidity) I’d say it’s watermelon! I’m sure you *can* get watermelon year round, but this is my favorite summer time fruit. Plus, pink and green are my favorite colors! I’ve scoured the web and found the cutest watermelon items. Everything from clothing and accessories to pool floats and items for the home.
Still looking for Halloween costumes? I don’t like going to stores to shop since I HATE masks (and clowns and all things creepy) and the stores are full of them. I’m obsessed with Amazon Prime, so why not get your costume there? Free Shipping, 2 day delivery, and REVIEWS. It’s super helpful to see what others think about the sizing and feel of the fabric. Most of the time you can’t open the package in the store anyway; why not have it delivered? I’ve rounded up 35+ costumes that I feel aren’t sexist, degrading, or culturally insensitive. This should be your checklist for everything in life ;)…
At the beginning of February, we took a ski trip to Park City, Utah. My last (and first) attempt at winter sports was nearly 10 years ago, so I was really excited to see if snowboarding was like riding a bike. Before leaving, my biggest fear wasn’t falling – it was the COLD! I’ve been in Houston long enough to forget what an actual winter feels like, so when it was time to start packing I wanted to make sure I had EVERYTHING I needed to stay warm and dry. This was no easy task; it took several trips to different stores, a few online orders, and borrowing from a generous friend to get everything I needed. I had to consult several experienced skiers to make a list of everything necessary for a successful ski trip.
I have a Pinterest problem. I’ve been on the site since it started and have over 15,000 pins. MANY of those are from before I was a blogger and spent hours perusing different ideas for decorating ideas, recipes, and random knowledge. One of my favorite things to look at are kitchen ideas. I’ve put together some kitchen ideas with Kohler faucets from Lowe’s Home Improvement that I hope inspire you!
Are you a paper planner or have you converted to using a digital day book? I use a mix of both. I like to have my appointments on my iPhone and Outlook calendar so Siri can remind me and I can see it when I’m at work. However, when it comes to planning I’m a big picture kinda gal. As I began planning for the One Room Challenge, I decided I really wanted to have a BIG wall calendar. I want something large that will help me plan my blog posts and serve as a reminder for my business goals. Where do you turn to for inspiration? Pinterest of course! I rounded up some pretty awesome wall calendar ideas and I’ve linked them below for you!
For some reason, I always find it hardest to shop for myself. Gift giving is one of my “love languages” so I love finding the perfect gift for family and friends, but always have a hard time giving gift ideas for myself. This year I complied a fool-proof guide for any women on your Christmas list. This list has the right mix of classic gifts with a few unexpected items any women would love to be surprised by.
- Pajamas: This is one of favorite items to receive for Christmas! I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a pair of PJs for myself – I can just as easily wear and old tshirt to bed. But getting a new pair of cozy pajamas in the winter is a great gift idea. Bonus points if you get matching pairs for the whole family 🙂
- Mittens: By the time Christmas arrives – the winter weather usually comes right along with it. A new pair of mittens or any winter gear makes for an inexpensive and thoughtful gift idea. Throw in a matching scarf and keep your favorite lady warm and cozy all season long.
- Personalized Stationary: I am a firm believer in the power of a hand written note. Whether it’s a sincere thank you or a heart felt apology – every woman should have personalized stationary to leave whatever note she needs.
- Rain Boots: These are perfect for women of any age! I wore rain boots all through college when I had to trek to class in the rain, and still wear them to get into the office on rainy Houston mornings.
- Necklace: Most women love jewlery! I personally prefer cute casual jewlery over fancy diamonds and jewels. Consider purchasing custom jewlery from a small buisness owner like Ashley of aTakCrafts.
- Planner: A new planner is the perfect gift for the busy lady on your Christmas list. With a new year right around the corner – a planner will help her start the new year on the right foot and stay organized all year long!
- Coffee Mug: A cute coffee mug will be used over and over again! Love this one from my friend Meggie at Organized Life Design
- Magazine Subscription: This is a pretty low cost gift and the receiver will continue to get gifts every month.
- Smart Phone Power Clutch: Everyone deals with a dying phone at some point. It’s usually at the most inconvenient times. This is the cutest way to charge your phone I’ve found. It also has space for small items like your keys and lipstick.
- Calligraphy Kit: I’ve been dying to learn calligraphy. I’ve tried brush calligraphy but really love the look of this beautiful writing. A fun, inexpensive gift for a creative woman.
- Address Embosser: All those Christmas cards would have looked great with an embossed envelope! This is a gift she’ll use to for birthday cards, thank you notes, and next year’s holiday cards!
- Custom Watercolor Paintings: I’ve had these on my Christmas list for months! Kori Clark does beautiful water color illustrations and takes orders for custom home and pet portraits! I would love to have a custom painting of #OliverHQ to commemorate our very first home and ya’ll know I’m obsessed with my pup and would love to see a watercolor version of Barkley.
How are you doing on your Christmas shopping? Are you done or do you still have a few gifts to check off your list?
Shopping for the guys on my Christmas list has always been the hardest. Being a lady, I find shopping for the ladies in my family to be pretty simple – I just buy things I would like. You know, “one for you, one for me” ;-). Coming up with useful, thoughtful, and interesting gifts for men tends to be a bit of a challenge. This year I consulted two of my most fashionable, “in the know” friends to help me compile this list. My buddies Trae and Blake came up for over 30 gift ideas for your brother, husband, partner, father, son, or that weird uncle on your Christmas list!
This post contains affiliate links. If you shop from my blog, I may be compensated for clicks or purchases that you make. Thank you for your support! Please refer to my disclaimer page for more information.
- Copper Barrel Mugs – These are the pefect mugs for moscow mules. They are 100% copper and will keep your drink extra cold.
- Salud Gift Set – Gold – Perfect gift set from Z. Gallerie. Bring a bit of style to your bar cart.
- Whisky Chilling Rocks – Sipping Stones are the aficionado’s choice for chilling a drink. It eliminates a common problem for all connoisseurs of fine distilled spirits: it cools your drink perfectly without the dilution from melting ice.
- Cocktail Glasses – A great glass for a great man! Every 11oz glass from this 4pc set is individually hand dipped in a black polymer to give a dripping wax look. They’re extremely durable and a great gift idea for the man that has everything…or will.
- Old Fashioned Kit – When it comes to a man’s cocktail, there is no debate over the standard bearer, the Old Fashioned. This kit includes all the hardware you’ll need to make one right.
- Bottleloft – With these clever fridge storage strips, your bottles will hang out in a cool loft that might make the orange juice jealous. Two strips secure a six pack of your favorite beverage bottles to the ceiling of your refrigerator, keeping them handy and freeing up space for other food that’s just chillin’.
- Glass Bottles With Wood Stoppers – Sculptural spheres in natural wood function as stoppers for these shapely glass bottles, designed for decanting whiskey, wine, oil and vinegar. For a witty gift, monogram them with short words like ‘sip,’ ‘refill’ or ‘enough.’
- Oaxacan Old Fashioned Cocktail Mixer – Bittermilk No. 6 – No. 6 Oaxacan Old Fashioned, pronounced “weh-HAH-ken”, is strong and bittersweet with Old Fashioned spices and Chiles! Celebrating the flavors of Oaxacan, Mexico by using chilies, cocoa nibs and spices. Pair with the Old Fashioned Kit in #5.
- Saddle Leather Drink Coasters – What man doesn’t like leather? These leather drink coasters go right along with all the cocktail contraptions above. Optional monogramming at Pottery Barn makes for a great gift item.
1o. Crosley Radio Turntable – For the guy who prefers the warm, mahogany-rich sound that vinyl is famous for – get him this sleek and compact turntable.
11. Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker – The more modern listener may prefer the convenience of this wireless system so he can stream music right from his iPhone. It has lots of cool features, like allowing up to 8 devices in memory for easy pairing.
12. Push Pin Travel Map – Each of these frames is handcrafted and the perfect way to commemorate travels or use as a tool to dream up new ones.
13. Cabin Porn: Inspiration for Your Quiet Place Somewhere – Great coffee table book. When wrapping make sure to cut out above the word “porn”. Watch grandma blush.
14. Latitude/Longitude Keychain – Know a sentimental guy? Give him this key chain so he can remember where he moved from or maybe his college town.
15. Napa Deerskin Driver Gloves – Use them for riding your motorcycle, driving the car, or even as super comfortable cold weather work gloves.
16. Stansport Wool Blanket – These wool blankets are ready for the most extreme cold. Use it on its own or over the top of your sleeping bag for when the temperature really drops. Great for a guy who loves the outdoors – even in winter. Brrr.
17. Olive Drab Wool US Military Blanket – Who doesn’t like a warm blanket? Keep your guy warm with this masculine green military style blanket.
18. Patagonia Classic Retro X Vest – Patagonia is known for their outdoor clothing and gear. This vest is stylish and will help keep warm in the cold winter months.
19. Tory Leather Hoof Pick Buckle Belt – The hook belt is always a conversation starter. Eyes up here ladies…
20. Tory Leather Belt with Stainless Steel Stirrup Buckle – Classic belt that looks nice and will keep his britches up.
21. Flannel Shirt – Keep him warm and looking daper with this flannel shirt from Stag Provisions.
22. Shawl Cardigan – This cardigan is will keep him warm with the shawl collar and comfy with the elasticized cuffs. Cozy and polished – a great combo.
23. Core Short – Lightweight and has plenty of pockets. He can wear to the gym; or to the grocery store pretending he’s going to work out that day.
24. Metal Tech Long Sleeve Shirt – Perfect for the sweaty man. Fancy Lululemon technology inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria on the shirt.
25. Timex Weekender Watch – Great neutral color and has casual, yet fashionable styling for the relaxed lifestyle.
26. Drink Coffee/Drink Whiskey Tee – This covers all the basic food groups.
27. Daniel Wellington Men’s Watch – Classic, clean design but also durable. Perfect for every man.
28. Gentlemen’s Hardware Credit Card Tool – The right tool for the job! Pretty much any job – 10 tools in one!
29. Leather Dresser Caddy – A handy place to keep all his things.
30. Personalized Pocket Knife – A classic gift for any guy. Personalize it for a nice added touch.
31. Bluetooth Tracking Tag – Help him keep easy to misplace items from getting lost.
32. Land Rover® Experience Driving School – Off-road obstacles such as steep ascents, descents, side tilts, log crossings, and rock crawls offer an exciting and memorable off-road adventure. Up to three participants may ride in each vehicle.
33. Racing Adventure | Racing School Experience – Let’s be honest – any guy would love this!
34. Fly-Fishing Lodge in Montana – For the guy who needs to relax and get away. Perfect even for inexperienced fisherman.
What is your favorite item on the list? Do you have a go to “guy” gift item?