Learn how to paint metal planters to decorate your patio. This project is sponsored by JOANN.
Spring has definitely sprung here in south Texas – my garden is overflowing with blooms and my allergies are CRAZY! With the help of some allergy meds, I’ve been enjoying our newly painted patio quite a bit more. We recently made some major changes with paint, and that trend continues with this project! The thing we were lacking was wall decor and plants (because YES I always need more plants!) I picked up some really cool, modern looking metal planters from JOANN but knew immediately I would have to paint them. Black just wouldn’t fit in our color wheel! I was introduced to COLORSHOT Premium Spray Paint last year and used it for this project!
- First put down a drop cloth to protect your grass!
- Next, give your metal planters good cleaning if needed and then lightly sand.
- Shake your can of COLORSHOT before spraying!
- Start spraying off the surface then cover using a sweeping motion.
- Slightly overlap when you move down to the next row for full coverage.
- Your planter will be dry to the touch in 10 minutes!
As I mentioned above, I’ve been using COLORSHOT Premium Spray Paint for the last year or so (click here to see another project I used it on!) and love this paint! It comes in some really beautiful colors and choosing the right color for your project is a lot like picking nail polish at the salon: they all have cute names! I used “Farmer’s Daughter” for this project and love the vibrant pink that completely transformed this black, metal planter into something that fits perfectly in my home!
Here are a few fun facts that will make you love COLORSHOT too!
- No priming needed! COLORSHOT is a paint and primer in one!
- The COLORSHOT formula has a propellant derived from sugar cane instead of petroleum, so you can feel good about your decision to turn everything in your house every shade of the rainbow.
- You’ll get great coverage – my BLACK planters only needed ONE coat of paint!
- The cans are sleek and easy to grip: that makes for comfort and control while spraying.
- The grooved spray actuator fits around finger comfortably for reduced fatigue while spraying.
- Works permanently on a variety of surfaces: metal, wood, plastic, unglazed ceramics, stone, glass and other craft surfaces.
After my planters had dried completely, I hung them up by my back door. I choose some shade loving flowers that will look great in these painted metal planters all summer long!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!