I’ve always loved August because it meant back to school time and back to school means new SCHOOL SUPPLIES! Stores are full of new notebooks, planners, and pens. I always loved perusing the back to school sections of the store.
I’m a Type A person and love a handwritten to do list. I’ve started to color code my calendar and to do list so I can stay better organized. I’ve shared a lot lately about how I organize my newly finished home office and craft room and I’m adding another DIY to the long list of projects completed for that room. I used PVC, scrap wood, and a little spray paint to create a fun DIY pen organizer!
- 2 inch PVC Pipe (You can get 2 foot sections)
- Wood (I used scrap wood)
- Spray Paint (I used Krylon Ballet Slipper)
- Glue (I used Liquid Nails)
- Painter's Tape
- Miter Saw
- Cut your PVC pipe. I didn't use exact measurements, just divided the 2 foot pipe into 5 uneven sections. I set the miter saw to cut at a 20 degree angle. Remember to cut so that each section has a flat bottom; you'll have to alternate where you make the angled cuts. Sand off any rough edges.
- I was lucky enough to have scrap wood in the exact size I needed! You really only need the base piece, but my scrap wood was already glued together so I used it as is. Measure your wood so the PVC fits and cut to size. Sand the wood before attaching the PVC.
- Next, you'll adhere the PVC to the wood. I used liquid nails and let it dry over night.
- Before painting, I taped off the interior of the pipes since I wanted them to stay white. I also stuffed in old newspaper to block any paint from getting in.
I’m using the Pilot G2 Metallics to organize my August schedule. I use the G2 Premium at work all the time in classic blue and black, but for my personal use I love all the fun a vibrant colors (these pens come in 15 different colors!).
I use different colors to color code my schedule in my written planner. Pilot G2 pens come in 4 different point sizes so you can further customize your writing style.
The Metallics are my new favorite but with multiple collections to choose from there’s a pen for everyone – and they are proven to write longer than all other gel brands! Pick up a pack on your next Target run and fill up your new DIY Pen Organizer!
Do you love back to school time as much as I do? What’s your favorite thing to buy?
View our collection of organization tips and tricks!