Earlier this month, we took a last minute trip to New Orleans. We’d been there once before but I got really sick and spent most of the short time we had in the hotel room so I was eager to get back and explore the city for the time. When Sanah from Beauty and The Pitch sent the prompt for this month’s LinkUp, it was perfect timing! She asked: What 5 things would you pack for a last minute getaway? Because we found out about this trip so late, we had to do a lot of last minute planning to do. I’ve compiled a list of my go-to travel items; specifically for travel in the summer!
- Backpack: When traveling, leave your purse at home. The problem with a purse is you normally carry it on one shoulder and if you are walking around all day that can get really tiring. A backpack takes the strain off your shoulders and back and is also safer to carry; someone can’t snatch it as easily. I recommend a small, light weight, and neutral colored bag. Get yourself a Backpack Pursefor your next trip!
- Sun Hat: Growing up I worshiped the sun. I would slather on the baby oil and try to get as dark as possible. Now that I’m older I have seen the light; literally. When traveling, especially in the summer, you should bring a sun hat. I’m usually good about remembering when I go to the beach or the pool, but it’s important even if you are just sight seeing. Having a hat (or a few!) was so nice when we were walking through the streets of New Orleans in the 90+ degree weather! I found this floppy hat at Forever 21 for our last minute getaway.
- Sunscreen – This goes right along with number 2. It is so important to protect your skin from sun damage. Use a long lasting SPF and reapply as necessary after going in the water or sweating. This will not only protect your skin but will help you enjoy the rest of your trip – sunburn free! My favorite is Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sunscreen – it’s hypoallergenic, oil free, and sweat proof! Plus it has pink packaging 😉
- Rompers and Sundresses – One of the bad things about summer travel is it’s hot; and New Orleans in August was sweltering. Your best bet is to wear loose fitting, light-weight fabrics. My favorites are rompers and sundresses; bonus points if they have pockets! These are not only cooler but they are one piece so they take up less room in your suitcase! My embroidered dress is from TJ Maxx and blue romper from Forever 21.
- Apps and Accessories – What’s the one thing you would never leave home without? For me it’s my cell phone! On this trip, we brought along the fancy camera (hints my first attempt at “fashion blogging”) but 9 times out of 10 I’m taking photos with my iPhone. Taking photos, using the maps, and putting all those posts on Instagram can really drain your battery. When you are out exploring you may not have the option to plug your phone in to charge. I first used the Mophie Juice Pack on our trip to Boston last year and it made a HUGE difference. It literally doubles your battery! Now, I won’t leave home for a trip without it. Another great tip is to check the apps store for the city you are visiting. Many cities have public transport apps and of course use Zomato to find the best place to eat!
What are your go-to items when you go on vacation? Are you like me and start packing days before and make a detailed list of all the items you need or do you grab a bag and go?