Learn how to make a simple DIY wall hanging to decorate your home. This project is sponsored by JOANN.
I’m afraid I’ve created a marble monster! This project demonstrates a simple technique that I fear could be a bit addicting! Start with a heavy duty fabric. JOANN has a ton of utility fabrics: I used white duck canvas. You then pick your paint – I tested out a few different options and found that alcohol ink worked best. There really isn’t a wrong way to do this project – just sprinkle the ink and swirl! It’s really fun to spread the colors and see how your design is going to turn out when you pull the fabric up.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Cut a rectangle out of heavy duty, utility fabric. I found a white duck canvas at my local JOANN store.
- Spread shaving cream in a disposable tray.
- Select your colors! I tried both alcohol ink and fabric paint and like the alcohol inks best.
- Sprinkle ink onto the shaving cream.
- Use a toothpick to drag through the ink. Make straight lines, or gentle swirls in the ink.
- Lay your fabric onto the shaving cream and press gently.
- Peel up the fabric.
- Use a plastic ruler to scrap away the excess shaving cream.
- Lay out your board and mark how wide you want it. Cut, then use as a guide for the second piece.
- Glue the wood onto the top and bottom of your fabric. Add a string and embellishments and you're ready to hang!
I created this simple DIY wall hanging, but you could totally use the fabric for other projects! I’m thinking next time I’m going to create some beautifully marbled pillows. Grab these projects supplies on your next JOANN run and try this technique out for yourself!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!