I may be a bit biased, but I think my Nana is the best cook! She makes the tastiest ribs and Thanksgiving turkey but my favorite is when she bakes. She makes these really delicious peanut butter balls (we only get those at Christmas) and her magic bars are A-MAZ-ING. I got a pleasant surprise last week when she emailed me her Triple Chocolate Cake recipe. This was quite a change from her typical repertoire of “RE: Fwd: Fwd:” messages and political ramblings (Nana is very opinionated – wonder where I got it from???) This cake is SUPER rich and definitely doesn’t fall in the “healthy” category, but if you love chocolate as much as I do you are going to gobble this up. The 3 parts are: the cake (with one special ingredient that makes the texture perfect), the streusel filling, and the glaze. Allow yourself about 2 hours start to finish but most of that time is the baking time. I served this to our small group last Wednesday and to my coworkers and it was met with rave reviews. Next time you have a chocolate craving or need something fancy to impress your dinner guests, try my Nana’s Triple Chocolate Cake.
- 1 Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 pkg. Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Shavings
- 2 tbsp Cocoa
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Cocoa
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Confectioners Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease and flour pan. You can use a tube pan or bundt pan.
- Mix cake mix, pudding mix, oil, water, and eggs. Do not over mix.
- Mix the streusel in a separate bowl: brown sugar, flour, coconut, cocoa, and melted butter. The streusel will be a bit thick and chunky but keep stirring until it's all mixed together.
- Spread 3/4 of the cake batter in a pan then sprinkle in the streusel.
- Top with remaining cake batter.
- Bake 40-50 min.
- Cool right side up for 25 minute.
- Remove and glaze.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to a saucepan. Stir until butter is melted and add in the cocoa (do not overcook). Keep stirring until it's completely melted and don't let it burn! Remove from heat and mix in confectioners sugar and milk until you have the quantity and consistency to glaze the cake.