It’s almost Christmas! One of my last minute projects was my DIY Reindeer Cut Out. I’ve been looking for more projects so I can practice using my scroll saw, and this one got me to turn off Gilmore Girls and work in the garage! This is a very simple project with easy angles to cut – great even for beginners. I’ve included a free download below:…
I found clear ornaments at the Dollar Tree a few weeks ago and had so many ideas how to fill them! I finally settled on making a DIY snow globe. I found cute little bottle brush trees at Michael’s for 60% off so naturally I bought them in every color and size. I don’t foresee getting snow in south Texas anytime soon, so this snow globe is as close as we are going to get to winter. This ornament took all of 5 minutes to make and was a pretty and elegant addition to our Christmas tree.
Growing up, our Christmas tree was a hodge podge of ornaments. Nothing really matched, and the majority of the ornaments were handmade by my brother and me. But our tree had so much sentimental value and I hope someday my family’s Christmas tree is just the same. College was the first time I had the chance to decorate my own tree, and I held fast the DIY tradition! I wanted something super cute so I made DIY leopard print ornaments! Add in glitter ribbon and these are perfect for your glam Christmas tree!
I hate to read instruction manuals. I usually skim it, get the general idea, and then jump in feet first. I recently realized something I’ve done 100 times – I’ve been doing all wrong! I know, I know, I should have read the instructions but “ain’t nobody got time for that!”. I’ve stained wood tons of times, but do you want to guess how many times I actually wiped off the excess stain? I usually prefer dark wood stains so this has never really mattered much. But for this project, I wanted a lighter stain and I wanted to do a distressed and weathered look.…
I had the BEST birthday party this year! I’m not sure why, but birthdays are really important to me. I’ve actually kept pretty much every birthday card I’ve ever received and I think I can tell you what every one of my birthday cakes has looked like! I’m also a huge fan of CHRISTMAS! Not so much for the gifts, but the whole spirit of the season. As I mentioned in my Prosecco Punch post yesterday, Eric and I will be in China on Christmas this year. We will actually be abroad for a month starting in mid December. We are very excited about the opportunity, but a little bummed to be missing Christmas with our families. I was so excited to have a Christmas themed birthday party – two of my favorite holidays rolled into one!…
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mionetto Prosecco. Content for ages 21+.
This past weekend I was thrown a Christmas themed birthday party since Eric and I will be in China on Christmas. I love my birthday but love Christmas even more, so I was bummed to be missing the magic of the holidays. The party came together flawlessly and one of my favorite details was the Holiday Prosecco Punch I put together! Mionetto sent me some delicious Prosecco that I added a few simple ingredients to and came up with a tasty holiday drink! I was even able to serve on my DIY serving tray.
It’s hard to believe that Christmas is RIGHT around the corner! Growing up, Christmas was always a magical time, but even as I got older the season was something I looked forward to. Especially in college because it meant finals were OVER! Being a do-it-yourself connoisseur, I was especially excited to be invited to the Handmade Holidays blog hop! I’m featuring a DIY gift idea and linking up to a TON of other great handmade gifts….
For some reason, I always find it hardest to shop for myself. Gift giving is one of my “love languages” so I love finding the perfect gift for family and friends, but always have a hard time giving gift ideas for myself. This year I complied a fool-proof guide for any women on your Christmas list. This list has the right mix of classic gifts with a few unexpected items any women would love to be surprised by.
- Pajamas: This is one of favorite items to receive for Christmas! I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a pair of PJs for myself – I can just as easily wear and old tshirt to bed. But getting a new pair of cozy pajamas in the winter is a great gift idea. Bonus points if you get matching pairs for the whole family 🙂
- Mittens: By the time Christmas arrives – the winter weather usually comes right along with it. A new pair of mittens or any winter gear makes for an inexpensive and thoughtful gift idea. Throw in a matching scarf and keep your favorite lady warm and cozy all season long.
- Personalized Stationary: I am a firm believer in the power of a hand written note. Whether it’s a sincere thank you or a heart felt apology – every woman should have personalized stationary to leave whatever note she needs.
- Rain Boots: These are perfect for women of any age! I wore rain boots all through college when I had to trek to class in the rain, and still wear them to get into the office on rainy Houston mornings.
- Necklace: Most women love jewlery! I personally prefer cute casual jewlery over fancy diamonds and jewels. Consider purchasing custom jewlery from a small buisness owner like Ashley of aTakCrafts.
- Planner: A new planner is the perfect gift for the busy lady on your Christmas list. With a new year right around the corner – a planner will help her start the new year on the right foot and stay organized all year long!
- Coffee Mug: A cute coffee mug will be used over and over again! Love this one from my friend Meggie at Organized Life Design
- Magazine Subscription: This is a pretty low cost gift and the receiver will continue to get gifts every month.
- Smart Phone Power Clutch: Everyone deals with a dying phone at some point. It’s usually at the most inconvenient times. This is the cutest way to charge your phone I’ve found. It also has space for small items like your keys and lipstick.
- Calligraphy Kit: I’ve been dying to learn calligraphy. I’ve tried brush calligraphy but really love the look of this beautiful writing. A fun, inexpensive gift for a creative woman.
- Address Embosser: All those Christmas cards would have looked great with an embossed envelope! This is a gift she’ll use to for birthday cards, thank you notes, and next year’s holiday cards!
- Custom Watercolor Paintings: I’ve had these on my Christmas list for months! Kori Clark does beautiful water color illustrations and takes orders for custom home and pet portraits! I would love to have a custom painting of #OliverHQ to commemorate our very first home and ya’ll know I’m obsessed with my pup and would love to see a watercolor version of Barkley.
How are you doing on your Christmas shopping? Are you done or do you still have a few gifts to check off your list?
Shopping for the guys on my Christmas list has always been the hardest. Being a lady, I find shopping for the ladies in my family to be pretty simple – I just buy things I would like. You know, “one for you, one for me” ;-). Coming up with useful, thoughtful, and interesting gifts for men tends to be a bit of a challenge. This year I consulted two of my most fashionable, “in the know” friends to help me compile this list. My buddies Trae and Blake came up for over 30 gift ideas for your brother, husband, partner, father, son, or that weird uncle on your Christmas list!
This post contains affiliate links. If you shop from my blog, I may be compensated for clicks or purchases that you make. Thank you for your support! Please refer to my disclaimer page for more information.
- Copper Barrel Mugs – These are the pefect mugs for moscow mules. They are 100% copper and will keep your drink extra cold.
- Salud Gift Set – Gold – Perfect gift set from Z. Gallerie. Bring a bit of style to your bar cart.
- Whisky Chilling Rocks – Sipping Stones are the aficionado’s choice for chilling a drink. It eliminates a common problem for all connoisseurs of fine distilled spirits: it cools your drink perfectly without the dilution from melting ice.
- Cocktail Glasses – A great glass for a great man! Every 11oz glass from this 4pc set is individually hand dipped in a black polymer to give a dripping wax look. They’re extremely durable and a great gift idea for the man that has everything…or will.
- Old Fashioned Kit – When it comes to a man’s cocktail, there is no debate over the standard bearer, the Old Fashioned. This kit includes all the hardware you’ll need to make one right.
- Bottleloft – With these clever fridge storage strips, your bottles will hang out in a cool loft that might make the orange juice jealous. Two strips secure a six pack of your favorite beverage bottles to the ceiling of your refrigerator, keeping them handy and freeing up space for other food that’s just chillin’.
- Glass Bottles With Wood Stoppers – Sculptural spheres in natural wood function as stoppers for these shapely glass bottles, designed for decanting whiskey, wine, oil and vinegar. For a witty gift, monogram them with short words like ‘sip,’ ‘refill’ or ‘enough.’
- Oaxacan Old Fashioned Cocktail Mixer – Bittermilk No. 6 – No. 6 Oaxacan Old Fashioned, pronounced “weh-HAH-ken”, is strong and bittersweet with Old Fashioned spices and Chiles! Celebrating the flavors of Oaxacan, Mexico by using chilies, cocoa nibs and spices. Pair with the Old Fashioned Kit in #5.
- Saddle Leather Drink Coasters – What man doesn’t like leather? These leather drink coasters go right along with all the cocktail contraptions above. Optional monogramming at Pottery Barn makes for a great gift item.
1o. Crosley Radio Turntable – For the guy who prefers the warm, mahogany-rich sound that vinyl is famous for – get him this sleek and compact turntable.
11. Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker – The more modern listener may prefer the convenience of this wireless system so he can stream music right from his iPhone. It has lots of cool features, like allowing up to 8 devices in memory for easy pairing.
12. Push Pin Travel Map – Each of these frames is handcrafted and the perfect way to commemorate travels or use as a tool to dream up new ones.
13. Cabin Porn: Inspiration for Your Quiet Place Somewhere – Great coffee table book. When wrapping make sure to cut out above the word “porn”. Watch grandma blush.
14. Latitude/Longitude Keychain – Know a sentimental guy? Give him this key chain so he can remember where he moved from or maybe his college town.
15. Napa Deerskin Driver Gloves – Use them for riding your motorcycle, driving the car, or even as super comfortable cold weather work gloves.
16. Stansport Wool Blanket – These wool blankets are ready for the most extreme cold. Use it on its own or over the top of your sleeping bag for when the temperature really drops. Great for a guy who loves the outdoors – even in winter. Brrr.
17. Olive Drab Wool US Military Blanket – Who doesn’t like a warm blanket? Keep your guy warm with this masculine green military style blanket.
18. Patagonia Classic Retro X Vest – Patagonia is known for their outdoor clothing and gear. This vest is stylish and will help keep warm in the cold winter months.
19. Tory Leather Hoof Pick Buckle Belt – The hook belt is always a conversation starter. Eyes up here ladies…
20. Tory Leather Belt with Stainless Steel Stirrup Buckle – Classic belt that looks nice and will keep his britches up.
21. Flannel Shirt – Keep him warm and looking daper with this flannel shirt from Stag Provisions.
22. Shawl Cardigan – This cardigan is will keep him warm with the shawl collar and comfy with the elasticized cuffs. Cozy and polished – a great combo.
23. Core Short – Lightweight and has plenty of pockets. He can wear to the gym; or to the grocery store pretending he’s going to work out that day.
24. Metal Tech Long Sleeve Shirt – Perfect for the sweaty man. Fancy Lululemon technology inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria on the shirt.
25. Timex Weekender Watch – Great neutral color and has casual, yet fashionable styling for the relaxed lifestyle.
26. Drink Coffee/Drink Whiskey Tee – This covers all the basic food groups.
27. Daniel Wellington Men’s Watch – Classic, clean design but also durable. Perfect for every man.
28. Gentlemen’s Hardware Credit Card Tool – The right tool for the job! Pretty much any job – 10 tools in one!
29. Leather Dresser Caddy – A handy place to keep all his things.
30. Personalized Pocket Knife – A classic gift for any guy. Personalize it for a nice added touch.
31. Bluetooth Tracking Tag – Help him keep easy to misplace items from getting lost.
32. Land Rover® Experience Driving School – Off-road obstacles such as steep ascents, descents, side tilts, log crossings, and rock crawls offer an exciting and memorable off-road adventure. Up to three participants may ride in each vehicle.
33. Racing Adventure | Racing School Experience – Let’s be honest – any guy would love this!
34. Fly-Fishing Lodge in Montana – For the guy who needs to relax and get away. Perfect even for inexperienced fisherman.
What is your favorite item on the list? Do you have a go to “guy” gift item?
Who knew that after I graduated not one but TWO of my friends would become flight attendants!? Amber Ryan was one of my best friends in college and was the maid of honor in my wedding. She is following her dream of traveling the world and has traveled to more than 20 countries from Italy to Brazil. I consulted this world travel to create the perfect gift guide for the traveler on your Christmas list. Follow her on Twitter @InFlightSmiles and her new blog!
Amber is an OSU and Alpha Delta Pi alum. She’s been a reserve (on-call) flight attendant at a major US airline for the past two and half years. She’s based in Charlotte, NC but travels home to Oklahoma often to visit her sooner boyfriend. She loves traveling (obviously!), reading, running, and cats. She addicted to coffee and beauty products. Here are her top gift ideas for travelers:
- Passport Wallet: When traveling, it’s important to keep all your documents in one place. This passport wallet is the perfect place to keep your passport, ID card, boarding passes etc.
- Portable Battery Charger: These are a life saver when you are traveling and don’t have access to wall outlet. Keep your device alive and thriving by always having this portable battery pack in tow!
- Longchamp Bag: This bag comes in several colors and sizes. It’s also easy to pack and is very durable. Perfect has a carry on and great for a quick trip.
- Travel Hoodie Pillow: This pillow will allow you to nap on a plane or in the car a little more comfortably. The hood can be pulled down to cover your eyes and help you stay asleep longer.
- Blanket Scarf: These are not only stylish but double as a blanket if you get cold on the plane or get stuck in the airport for a while.
- Travel Organizer: I’m loving the “grown up” Vera Bradley products. This preppy poly travel organizer comes in two colors (black or “toast”) and has a mature look compared to the floral fabrics you are probably used to from Vera. This can function as a cosmetic bag or you can put the five mesh pockets to work organizing your cords and chargers. The hidden front pocket is perfect for stowing jewelry.
- Packing Cubes: Packing cubes keep your suitcase organized when you’re on the go. Make your travel stress free by keeping your suitcase in order.
- Extension Cord: Call me crazy but an extension cord is one of the useful tools to travel with! Hotels often don’t have enough outlets or they’re in inconvenient locations (behind the bed,etc). While this isn’t really the best gift idea, it would make a great stocking stuffer and is a thoughtful gift for your favorite traveler.
Have you started your Christmas shopping? Will one of these items help you check someone off your list?