I’m struggling ya’ll. I feel like I’m constantly making excuses about getting exercise. Sometimes, it’s medical reasons (I have a recurrent disc herniation that I had surgery to fix in 2010 that still hurts) but most of the time it’s because I’m LAZY. If I do have a free evening, I’d rather spend time at home or blogging (#priorities). Unfortunately, that is a terrible idea. We all know the benefits to regular exercise so why can’t we make time for it? I realized there was NO WAY morning workouts would work for me. I tried; really! I went to AM Yoga- I have zero patience for Namaste at 6am so I spent the day grumpy. I also tried Shaun T’s FOCUS T25 and seriously couldn’t convince myself to get up just 25 minutes earlier (even though this is an amazing workout program!). After months of feeling frustrated with myself, I talked with a coworker who goes to the downtown YMCA on lunch. I decided to try it, and working out on my lunch break is the best thing ever! I’ve gotten a lot of questions about how I workout at lunch and I have to say – packing my gym bag is the most important thing. Making sure I have everything I need ensures I not only get to the gym that day, but I can get in a good workout and get back to work within an hour. The trick is planning ahead! Today, I’m sharing what I pack in my gym bag.
This post contains affiliate links. If you shop from my blog, I may be compensated for clicks or purchases that you make. Thank you for your support! Please refer to my disclaimer page for more information. Images below are links you can shop from!
- Gym bag – Find a cute one that you will love to carry! This Vera Bradley messenger bag is the perfect size for all my stuff.
- Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets – I shower off quickly after my work out and use these sheets to absorb excess oil/sweat on my face.
- Crease free hair ties – I ALWAYS have a crease in my hair when I put it in a pony tail. These do away with that problem! I can throw my hair up at the gym, then brush it back down after my shower.
- Hero Nutritionals Gummy Vitamins – Gummy vitamins aren’t just for kids! Hero Nutritionals sent me some of their gummy vitamins to try and I loved them. I tried the Energy + B12 and felt great! I always wanted to nap when I got home from work; but after taking these for a few weeks and getting regular exercise my energy levels were way up!
- Fitbit – This is my biggest motivator! It’s so helpful to know exactly how many steps I’ve had for the day and it motivates me to get up off my toosh and head to the gym.
- Wireless headphones – These were game changing for me. I can wear them during my workout and don’t have to worry about cords hanging down or carrying my phone around the gym. Of course, this only works if you can keep you gym bag with your phone nearby.
- Shoes – Make sure you have the right shoes for your work out. On days I do Barre, I can even leave these at home but don’t want to forget my socks!
- The Wet Brush – This is my FAVORITE hair brush. I seriously can’t say enough good things about it. It glides easily through wet or dry hair and doesn’t pull any out! I keep the mini size in my gym bag.
- Work out clothes – I use cute yoga pants as a motivator. Reward yourself with a new pair for each of your goals met. Make sure you keep your gym bag stocked with all the clothes you need for a workout. Nothing worse than getting to the gym and realizing you forgot your socks or sports bra! I try to keep at least 2 outfits in my bag at all times. I also started prepping all my outfits for the week on Sunday night so it’s easier to pack my bag during the week – just leave everything folded and together in a drawer until it’s time to go.
Click any of the pictures below to see more information about the items I’ve described above! Use the arrows to scroll though and shop.
I am lucky enough to work a few blocks away from the downtown YMCA so I can easily get to the gym on my lunch break. You may even be lucky enough to have a gym in your building at work! My favorite thing about the Y is they offer 45 minute classes during lunch (Barre and Spin are my fav!) so I have a structured class to attend that’s the right length of time for me. Add in 5 minutes to shower and get changed (Yes, seriously 5 minutes.) I have it down that quick and so can you! Just make sure you have everything you need in your gym bag and you’re ready to go. Also, I don’t wash my hair (just use a little dry shampoo if you sweat a lot.) . Side note: my gym also has towels available and soap in the showers. Those are a few more things you may have to worry about packing. You could also see if your gym offers locker rentals where you could store everything you need for the week so it’s ready for you each day.
Hopefully this motivates you to try to fit a workout into your workday! When do you normally exercise? Will you try working out at lunch?